Friday, April 2, 2010

Spoken Word Interlude +:
Extraterrestrials at CBGB's and
David Bowie's "Life on Mars" from Hunky Dory

Screen cap from Hannah and Her Sisters David Bowie Hunky Dory album cover

This bit of movie dialogue has been a favorite around the La Historia compound as of late. When I heard Bowie's gorgeous "Life on Mars" this morning, it made me think of the clip, and I knew I had to share, you'll see why.

It's from the Woody Allen movie Hannah and Her Sisters, and pretty much comprises a flashback that Allen's character Mickey experiences about a disastrous date he once had with the woman whom he'll counterintuitively end up marrying.

Pretty amazing when the date ends with Mickey hollering the worst insult he can think of to Holly

Mickey: You don't deserve Cole Porter!

Woody is of course all about Cole Porter and Paul Whiteman and the Dixieland jazz, so when Holly, played by Dianne Wiest, drags Mickey to the slightly more modern CBGB's to see The 39 Steps, you know that all the neuroses and risk-avoidance tactics for which Allen's characters are justly known will be in spotlight.

The New York new wave music at least as loud as the dialogue, perhaps louder

Mickey: My ears are experiencing a meltdown!


Soon Mickey is begging Holly to leave, and the film cuts to the two outside the club.

Holly: I love songs about extraterrestrial life, don't you?
Mickey: Not when they're sung by extraterrestrials!


Holly and Mickey From Hannah.mp3

192 kbps mp3, up for six weeks, or until MGM sends me the takedown letter (Right click and save as target)

File under: Movie dialogue


David Bowie - Hunky Dory - 04 - Life on Mars.mp3

This file was removed May 22, 2010. If you're still way interested in coming up with a copy of this--and really can't figure out where you might get one--drop me an email and I'm sure I'll be able to figure something out for you.

File under: Planet Rock

1 comment:

TAD said...

"Do their parents KNOW they're Extraterrestrials?"
...I don't have much 2 add 2 this. Saw the last 1/2 of HANNAH 1nce but don't remember this scene, but yr Dscription is clear enuf.
My fave Allen was ANNIE HALL (reminds me of my highschool sweetie), & MANHATTAN's pretty great (specially with all the Gershwin "Rhapsody in Blue" stuff in it), & LOVE AND DEATH has a lotta HILARIOUS overlapping dialogue ("With you, never a quickie, always a longie...."), & how bout PLAY IT AGAIN SAM? & A MIDSUMMER NIGHT'S SEX COMEDY is great lite Ntertainment. Obviously I needta C HANNAH again. When Allen was good he was really great....
& if NE rock star is an alien it's gotta B Bowie. He Cmd right at home in MAN WHO FELL TO EARTH.... -- TAD.