Thursday, September 12, 2024

On 'Stop Wearing the T-Shirts of Bands You Don't Listen To'

I have never done this. To be honest, I always thought it was kind of cheating if you wore a t-shirt of a band that you hadn't *seen in concert*

Even when my old man got me in with a merchandise distributor down here in South Florida, and I picked up thereby the Nirvana T-shirt with the :-), and the Alice in Chains logo t-shirt and even the Jesus Built My Hotrod t-shirt, I always felt a little less than 100% on top of it when I wore those shirts.

Alice in Chains T-shirt with logo that looks like Dennis Rodman's back tattoo
'Course on the other hand, if we apply the rule, that would necessarily eliminate all the hipsters wearing the Burzum t-shirts, and the comedy buff in me always liked that particular sight gag. I mean, obviously they were not listening to this Neo-Nazi black metaller, they're listening to Sufjan Stevens or the current trendy equivalent, but they were at least hip enough to tell the joke.

I thought it was a good joke. And these hipsters hipster enough to tell it should get a pass, says I.

And that joke might be the difference between the hipsters wearing the Burzum shirt and the hipsters wearing the Ramones shirt. 'Cause there is definitely a difference.

I was never a huge Ramones guy, but even on their worst day, The Ramones were both better and less fascist than Burzum. But I guess for that reason, seeing you wear their t-shirt knowing you don't listen isn't giving me the same entertainment value.

You know, unless you were willing to maybe burn down a church or two.

No comments: